The arrival of old man winter in Teton Valley coincides with cooking hearty soups. This French Onion Soup made with our own Black Cauldron Imperial Stout is sure delight everyone in your household. Add the ingredients in the morning and a delicious soup will await your arrival home.
Serves 8-10 medium-sized bowls
Prep/Cook Time: 7-9 hours
- 4 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 12 ounces of Black Cauldron Imperial Stout
- 1-2 tablespoons sherry
- 64 ounces beef stock
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- french baguette
- gruyere cheese, sliced
1. Set your crock-pot on high, then add onions, garlic, brown sugar, butter, salt and balsamic and mix until combined. Cover and let cook for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to caramelize and brown on the edges.
2. Add in flour, then stir thoroughly and let sit for 5 minutes. Add in beer, beef stock, thyme, sherry and pepper, then turn heat down to low, cover and cook for 6-8 hours.
3. Before serving, cut baguette into slices. Fill soup bowls to the top, then cover with slice of bread and a slice of cheese. Set under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
Recipe adapted from ‘how sweet it is’ http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/09/crockpot-french-onion-soup/